Alternative Families Services partners with the San Francisco Human Services Agency (HSA), Family and Children Services (FCS) division to promote the safety, health and wellbeing of children in foster care by providing training, support and recruitment efforts to care providers through its Parenting for Permanency College (PPC) program. Annually, pre-service training and events deliver services to approximately 350 care provider households and 300 prospective approved care providers.
In order to meet the training mandate of the Written Directives, PPC provides curriculum for care providers so they can implement:
- Resource family approval training for prospective care providers
- Advanced training for approved care providers
- Placement training for care providers who are caring for or wish to care for children ages three and under
PPC SPECIAL EVENTS
To support retention efforts, PPC coordinates two annual events for its clients:
- Holiday event for foster youth and care provider households
- Resource Parent Appreciation event in May to coincide with Foster Care Awareness Month
PPC facilitates the coordination of the care provider Mentor Program.
FOSTERING FAMILIES TODAY
PPC creates "Fostering Families Today," a special section that appears in the HSA/FCS bi-monthly newsletter called KIDS, which is distributed to San Francisco foster care service providers and resource parents.